[wellylug] Distro Changing...

Enkidu enkidu at cliffp.com
Tue Dec 23 19:49:55 NZDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 07:34:39 +1300, you wrote:

>hi,
>
>Redhat linux has had too many bugs for me, and the new fedora, has far
>too many. I want to change distro, to something stable and fast.
>
>I was thinking Gentoo, as it allows you to compile the software for your
>pc, which should make everything run fast, like a LFS system.
>
>Has anyone tried/got the latest gentoo?

Compiling it yourself is overrated. It may make things faster, but
there's always been debate about this. Some people think it doesn't
make any difference, other swear to a noticeable increase in speed.

Personally, I'll stay with a distribution that supplies binary
packages. I've done the "compile everything" thing and it no longer
has any appeal. I've done it on most platforms from the Big Iron down
to 386s.

But this is a religious topic, and some people might get heated about
it, so please let's have a discussion if anyone is interested and not
a war! <grin>

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.